Spring is here, and with the weather warming up it’s time to do a few easy maintenance tasks to help our cars recover from the harsh winter months. Follow these spring car care tips to get your car ready for the warm weather!
First of all, if you have winter-specific parts on your car, like winter tires and winter wipers, it’s a good time to change them out for all-season ones. Winter tires don’t work well in warm weather because their rubber is too soft, and winter wipers are better for snow than rain.
If you haven’t had an oil and filter change recently, get one now—your oil is probably dirty, since cold weather makes your engine work overtime. While you’re at it, have your fluids topped off and checked for leaks. You should also have your battery tested to make sure it’s still going strong.
Spring cleaning isn’t just for your house! Give your car a thorough wash inside and out to make your windows easier to see through and prevent rust from the buildup of salt and other chemicals on your car’s exterior.
Check your air conditioning. You’ll want it working before the hot weather hits, so if something is wrong with it, get it fixed ASAP! If you need to schedule spring service for your car, give us a call at Sunny King Honda.
As we enter into the months of spring, the days are growing longer, with the sun shining for extended hours. However, as the sun is up in the sky for longer periods throughout the day, it can unfortunately cause some damage to your vehicle’s paint job. In order to protect the beautiful color of your vehicle, be sure to take these precautions, which will help you learn how to protect your vehicle’s paint job from the sun.
- Wash Your Car
One of the best ways to protect the paint job of your car from fading is by routinely washing your vehicle. This will not only make your car cleaner, but it will also help increase the longevity of its colors.
- Dry Your Car
After washing your car, don’t immediately start driving it out in the bright sun. Take the time to make sure your car is dry to avoid any additional damage from the sun.
- Wax Your Car
In addition to washing and drying your vehicle, you should consider applying a coating of wax to your vehicle. This will provide your car with a nice polish and added protection.
Around one in eight drivers foregoes protecting themselves and their vehicle with a car insurance policy. That’s an incredible number of drivers—and if you’re one of them, you could face financial ruin if you’re involved in an accident. Car insurance has more benefits than just fixing your car. Here’s a quick rundown on why you need car insurance from us here at Sunny King Honda!
- Money – When it comes to keeping yourself financially protected, car insurance is a must-have. Not only will car insurance cover your vehicle, it could save you from losing everything. The average cost of a single car accident in 2013 was $9,300, according to the National Safety Council. That’s roughly the cost of half a compact car. That number doesn’t include medical bills, either.
- Health – In accidents that caused a serious injury, the average cost of a car accident sky rocketed to $80,700, according to the National Safety Council. That’s nearly three figures and the majority of people don’t have that kind of cash on hand. In a pinch, car insurance could supplement your health insurance as well.
- Law – In most states, having car insurance is the law. Not only will having car insurance protect you from uninsured drivers, but it will keep you from paying costly fees and potentially losing your license.
Are you planning to take your car back to campus with you this year? There are a few measures that you can take to drastically reduce your risk of car problems later on, seriously saving you time and heartache.
Here are some tips back to school car tips to get you started:
- Check on your vehicle’s vitals under the hood, including the fluid levels and the battery.
- Look into your tire pressure, alignment, and tread; and make sure that you remember how to properly change a tire.
- If you’re attending school far from home, familiarize yourself with the auto service companies nearby, in case you need them.
- Make sure you’re not due for an oil change or an inspection in the near future, and if so, be prepared to address them in your school’s town.
- Lastly, keep a log of your vehicle’s maintenance, and be sure that it’s well taken care of in general. Consistent maintenance will really make a difference in your vehicle’s longevity.
Do you have any other ideas? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.